In this guide, I have explained how to combine videos on iPhone. All three methods that I have covered enable you to combine your choice of videos for free. Using the native Photos app, you cannot combine the videos.
Primarily you have to use the iMovie app to combine several videos into one video. Apart from that, you can use dedicated third-party video editing tools to merge videos on an iPhone.
Use iMovie App to Combine Videos
Here are the steps to use the iMovie app to combine videos on your iPhone.
- Install the iMovie app from the App Store.
- Launch iMovie.
- Under the tab Start New Project, tap on Movie.
- You will see the video clips on your iPhone listed on the next screen. Tap on the videos which you want to merge.
- Alternatively, tap on Media > Video and select the videos for combining.
- After selecting the videos, Tap on Create Movie.
- The video clips will be combined. The combined clip will display in the timeline.
- Tap on the clip to customize it such as trimming the clip, managing the audio level, integrating filters into the combined clip, etc.
- To preview the combined clip tap the Play icon. To finalize the combined video, tap on Done.
- To save the video to the Photos app, tap on the Share icon. Then tap on Save Video.
How to Combine Videos on iPhone Without Cropping
When you have shot a video in portrait mode, using them in iMovie will result in a cropped video. This will affect the content of the video. So, there are two ways to combine videos on iPhone without getting the aspect ratio changed.
1. Use Pinch to Zoom Gesture
- Launch the iMovie app on your iPhone.
- First, select the videos and combine them in the timeline.
- Tap on the first video clip of the merger. Next, tap on the Magnifying glass icon at the top.
- Using your fingers do the pinch-in gesture to zoom out the video clip.
- Repeat the above steps for the other video clips you are using in the combined video.
- Once it is completed, tap on Done.
- Next, tap on Share > Save Video. It will save the final video to the Photos app.
2. Change the Video Orientation to Landscape to Avoid Cropping
To avoid getting a black border around your merged video, you have to rotate all your video clips in the Photos app which you wish to merge.
First, combine the video clips in iMovie. It will get saved to the Photos app. Next, in the Photos app rotate the video again. You should now get a portrait video without cropping or black bars.
- First, launch the Photos app and open one of the video clips that you want to merge.
- Tap on Edit > tap Rotate/Crop icon
- To rotate 90 degrees and change the formation of the video into the landscape, press the Rotate icon at the top.
- Press on Done to save the landscape video.
- Repeat the same steps for other videos that you want to combine with the previous clip.
- Launch iMovie > Tap on Movie.
- Add the video clips you have rotated.
- Combine and save the merged clip to the Photos app using the methods described in the previous section.
- Launch the Photos app and open the saved video.
- Tap on Edit button > Rotate/Crop.
- Once the resulting video appears in Portrait mode, tap on Done to save the final video on your iPhone.
Combine iPhone Videos Using Third-Party App
You may try various third-party video editing apps that are available on the App Store to combine videos.
- Install any third-party video editing app and launch it.
- Add the videos that you want to merge to the timeline of the editor
- Use the editing tools to tweak the clips and manage other parameters such as audio, filters, brightness, etc.
- Save the video to your iPhone Photos app.
Almost all third-party video editing apps have a similar interface to that of iMovie. You won’t have any issues merging the video clips.
Now, you know how to combine videos on your iPhone easily. Try it out and share the merged clip on social media with your friends.