Is the iPhone compass not working for you? Here is a detailed guide outlining the necessary troubleshooting tips you need to follow to fix the compass. This app helps find the right direction when you are out there traveling in a new place or doing a trip through a jungle road.
The iPhone compass won’t work if the calibration has been disabled. An iOS build with bugs can affect the working of the compass app. Even turning off the location services app will disable the function of the Compass app.
Best Tips to Fix iPhone Compass Not Working
Here are the various troubleshooting tips that will make the compass functional again on your iPhone.
1. Enable Compass Calibration on Your iPhone
With compass calibration enabled, the compass reading will be more accurate. Follow the steps to enable it
- Go to Settings > tap Privacy & Security > tap on Location Services.
- Tap System Services.
- Under that, tap on the toggle on Compass Calibration to enable it.
2. Force Quit Compass App and Launch Again
Force quitting has always been suggested by tech experts to eliminate random bugs on the iPhone. You can try that out to fix the Compass app.
- Launch the app drawer on your iPhone by swiping down-to-up or up-to-down depending on the model of the iPhone that you use.
- Scroll to the Compass app card and swipe it up to close it.
3. Manage Magnetic Interference
Usually, compass works using magnetic sensors. If there are other devices nearby that also have magnetic sensors, that may cause disruption of magnetic activity on your device.
This will result in an inaccurate reading of directions by the compass. Move your iPhone away by keeping a distance from other devices. Otherwise, if it is possible turn the other electronic gadgets off.
4. Restart the iPhone
Restarting the iPhone is a useful tip that often helps users in fixing random bugs.
As per the iPhone model you use, follow the correct steps mentioned below to restart them.
- For iPhone X/11/12/13/14, press and hold the volume down and the side button.
- For iPhone SE 2nd/3rd Gen/iPhone 7/8 series Press and hold the side button.
- For iPhone SE 1st gen, 5s, and 5c, press the power button at the top of the iPhone.
Once you do the above steps on your concerned iPhones, you will be redirected to a screen that shows an option Slide to Power Off. Push the slider to turn the iPhone off.
5. Try Other Compass Apps
If you have no qualms about trying out third-party apps, then head over to App Store. Install any compass apps of your choice. Use it and check if that app is working correctly in providing the right directions.
6. Install iOS Update
iOS build currently installed on your device may have bugs on it causing the apps and services running on your iPhone to malfunction. Search for new iOS updates and install them. Usually, you can resolve bugs from the previous iOS version by installing its successive build.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Tap on General > Software Update.
- After the device starts searching for an update and if an update is found, tap on Download and Install to start installing that iOS update.
7. Reset Location Data
This fix will reset all location and privacy settings to the default form. Here are the steps for doing it.
- Launch the Settings app > tap on General > tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset > Select the option Reset Location and Privacy.
8. Shake the iPhone
Shaking your iPhone can unfreeze the compass which is stuck without any direction. If you have an iPhone X or any of the newer models this method will work for sure.
- Launch the Compass app.
- Shake your iPhone but make sure to grip it tightly or it may fall off.
- Wait for some time and start using the Compass app.
9. Disable True North on Compass Settings
True North causes the compass to always point to the earth’s magnetic field. This setting can make the accuracy get messed up even more if other electronic devices are nearby causing a fluctuation in the magnetic interference.
- Go to Settings > Compass.
- Tap on the toggle beside the option Use True North to disable it.
10. Disable and Re-enable Location Services on iPhone
Here are the steps to disable and enable location services on iOS.
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Privacy & Security > Location Services.
- Tap the toggle beside Location Services.
- After a few seconds tap the same toggle to enable it back again.
11. Contact Apple Support
I hope this guide was informative for you in getting the compass fixed on your iPhone. If you face any issues regarding the above fixes let us know in the comment section.