Did you install one or more apps on your iPhone and now you cannot find the corresponding iPhone app icons? You go around navigating between home screens and also searching through the app library but to no avail.
I have shared some easy troubleshooting tips in this guide to fix the issue of app icons disappearing from the iPhone. Also, before getting into the troubleshooting I will mention the possible reasons that may cause iPhone app icons to disappear.
- Possible Reasons Why iPhone App Icons Disappeared?
- Troubleshooting Tips to Fix iPhone App Icons Disappeared
- 1. Update iOS and Squash the Bugs
- 2. Restart the iPhone
- 3. Check Within the App Folders
- 4. Check if the App is Present in the App Library
- 5. Search App Using Spotlight Search Tool
- 6. Remove Restrictions on the App from ScreenTime Settings
- 7. Have Sufficient Storage Space on iPhone
- 8. Make All the Home Screen Sections Visible
- 9. Reset the Home Screen Layout to Make the iPhone App Icons Visible
- 10. Unhide the Apps that You Have Purchased
Possible Reasons Why iPhone App Icons Disappeared?
Often it has been seen that if you have installed a developer beta build of iOS on the iPhone then the device is prone to more bugs and glitches as compared to a stable build. If your iPhone has run out of storage space, new apps may not get installed unless you free space for them on your gadget.
Otherwise, if you have purchased any app and marked it hidden, that may not appear under the App Store. It will still appear on the iOS App Library though. New iOS users may not know this but often some iPhone app icons may not appear on the home screens but they will be present in App Library.
Troubleshooting Tips to Fix iPhone App Icons Disappeared
After knowing the reasons, it will now become easier for you to fix the disappearing app icons. Let us begin the troubleshooting now.
1. Update iOS and Squash the Bugs
If it was any bug causing the iPhone app icons to disappear, then try upgrading the iOS build to the latest version. That always gets rid of the software bugs.
- Connect your iPhone to WiFi.
- Open the Settings
- Then tap on General.
- Now, tap on Software Update.
- Wait for the device to show you any available iOS updates.
- If a new update has been released, you will be notified.
- There will be an option Download and Install. Tap on it to prepare the update.
2. Restart the iPhone
Often you see the app icons disappearing at one instance. Some other times the app icons will be present on the home screen. This happens quite randomly. This can be fixed by restarting your iPhone.
- Long press the power button on your iPhone.
- An option Slide to Power Off will show up. Swipe the slider to turn the iPhone off.
- Press the power button again to restart the iPhone.
3. Check Within the App Folders
You need to check within the folders on the home screen that have grouped similar apps. If an iPhone app icon is not visible on the home screen, then maybe it is grouped with similar apps under one folder.
4. Check if the App is Present in the App Library
Al the installed apps on your iPhone are present in the App library. If any of the iPhone app icons are not visible on the home screen, you can add them to the home screen.
- Scroll right to left on your home screen to get to the App Library.
- Search for the app name.
- Once you locate the app, long press on the app icon.
- From the shortcut menu, select the option Add to Home screen.
5. Search App Using Spotlight Search Tool
iOS has this search tool called spotlight search. It is quite simple to implement.
- Swipe down on the home screen of the iPhone.
- Type the name of the app you are not able to find.
- As you write the app’s name it should show up in the search result [provided it has been installed on your iPhone]
- Simply tap on the app icon to launch it.
6. Remove Restrictions on the App from ScreenTime Settings
iOS offers a feature called Screen time that allows the users to restrict any app on the iPhone. It is usually done to avoid abuse of technology and spend time productively on the iPhone.
If an app has been restricted from the Content and Privacy Restrictions of the iOS settings, then you have to revert that to make the app work on your iPhone.
- Launch the Settings app on iPhone.
- Now scroll to Screen Time and tap on it.
- Next, tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Next, tap on Allowed Apps to check which apps have been allowed.
- Ensure that the apps you are missing out on the iPhone are now available.
- Tap on the switch beside the app name to allow them.
- Navigate back to the section Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap on Content Restrictions > Select the option Allow All Apps.
7. Have Sufficient Storage Space on iPhone
You need to check that you have sufficient storage space available on your iPhone to install new apps. To check that,
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on General.
- Now scroll to iPhone storage and tap on it.
- You will see the complete distribution of free space available and the total space the apps, system data, and other media files are using on the iPhone.
- As per your requirement, you may delete or offload the apps from your iPhone. Doing that will create storage space for installing new apps.
8. Make All the Home Screen Sections Visible
When you have installed a lot of applications on your iPhone, iOS will automatically create multiple home screens to place them. You have to scroll through these home screens to locate your apps.
If one of the home screens has become invisible, then the included apps may not appear on the screen.
- Long press on the empty space of the home screen of the iPhone.
- You will see some dots on the display which will denote the various sections of the home screen.
- Tap on any of the dots.
- You will see a miniature set of all the home screen layouts.
- Make sure to tick all the home screens to make the apps within visible on the main home screen.
9. Reset the Home Screen Layout to Make the iPhone App Icons Visible
Resetting the home layout will organize all the installed applications on your iPhone in alphabetical order. This will help you locate the apps easily.
To reset the home screen layout,
- Get to the Settings app > tap on General.
- Now, tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Next, tap on Reset and select Reset Home Screen Layout.
10. Unhide the Apps that You Have Purchased
Here are the steps to unhide the apps that you have purchased on the App Store.
- Open the App Store application.
- Tap on your avatar in the upper right corner.
- Then tap on your Apple ID to go to your account settings.
- Scroll to Downloads and Purchases. Under that tap on Hidden Purchases.
- Tap on Unhide to make that app icon visible again on the home screen.
Try the above troubleshooting tips and you will be able to reinstate the iPhone app icons back on the device’s home screen.