Here are some important troubleshooting tips to fix text message notification sound not working on iPhone. Most smartphone users may not be too tech-savvy. Instead of using apps like WhatsApp or Signal, they will prefer to send messages using the classic text message app of the phone.
If you are on the receiving end, you may miss out on an urgent message if the notification sound is not working. Often simple reasons are behind this technical issue. It may be a bug in the iOS. The volume is set low or using iOS Focus Mode. Even keeping the iPhone on mute will cause missing text message notifications on iPhone.
- Best Ways to Fix Text Message Notification Sound Not Working on iPhone
- 1. Update iOS to a Newer Build
- 2. Check if the iPhone Speakers Are Damaged
- 3. Use Vibration for Text Alert Tones
- 4. Do Not Hide Alerts for any Conversation
- 5. Check the Ringtone Volume Slider Settings
- 6. Whitelist Messages App from the Focus Mode
- 7. Enable Text Message Tone for your iPhone
- 8. Disable Mute on iPhone
Best Ways to Fix Text Message Notification Sound Not Working on iPhone
1. Update iOS to a Newer Build
If you are running the developer beta of iOS, chances are there that it may be a bug causing you to miss out on the text message notifications. To update iOS,
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If a new build of iOS is available for download, tap on Download and Install.
Restart your iPhone to finish the update installation. Now, check if you still miss the text message notifications on your iPhone.
2. Check if the iPhone Speakers Are Damaged
Did your iPhone recently fall from your hand? Then the speaker may have been damaged by the impact on its surface. Are you hearing cracking, unclear audio output through the iPhone speakers? Sometimes, you may not even hear anything.
In this situation, even if other settings related to sound are enabled, with the speaker damaged, the text message notifications sound will not work. Visit the nearest authorized Apple service center and take the help of the technicians. They will fix the speaker of the iPhone.
3. Use Vibration for Text Alert Tones
If the ringing tone alert is on a lower volume, you can set the vibration for text messages. With the iPhone vibrating, you will be able to know of a new notification on your iPhone. Here is how to set it.
- Go to Settings > Sound & Haptics.
- Tap on Text Tone > tap Vibration.
- Tap on any vibration pattern listed under the Standard tab.
4. Do Not Hide Alerts for any Conversation
For any conversation with a contact that you carry out on the iPhone, disable the Hide alerts option for them.
- Open the Messages app.
- Tap on any conversation that you may have muted.
- Once the message thread opens, tap on the name of the contact.
- Navigate to the Hide Alerts option and tap on the switch beside the option to disable it.
5. Check the Ringtone Volume Slider Settings
- Open Settings > go to Sound & Haptics.
- Go to the volume slider under Ringtone and Alert Volume. Slide the marker rightwards to increase the volume.
6. Whitelist Messages App from the Focus Mode
When you turn the Focus Mode on, all the apps are banned from sending you notifications between the set time limit of that Focus profile. You have to whitelist or allow a selection of one or more apps to receive notifications from them.
- Go to Settings > Focus.
- Tap on any Focus profile to make changes to its settings.
- Now, tap on Apps.
- Make sure the tick mark is beside Silence Notifications From.
- Unselect the Messages app by tapping on the app icon. Additionally, you may unselect any other app for which you may want to get a notification even when the Focus Mode is active.
- Tap on Back to save the changes.
7. Enable Text Message Tone for your iPhone
You need to check if any default tone is enabled for the Text Messages incoming on your iPhone.
- Go to Settings > Sound & Haptics.
- Under Sound and Haptic Patterns tap on Text Tone.
- Choose any of the available alert tones.
8. Disable Mute on iPhone
The iPhone has a physical button to mute/unmute sound. While it is a useful addition to the device, the silent mode will cause you to miss out on text message notifications.
Simply flip the mute button to unmute it. As you do that, you will see a pop-up on the screen that says Silent Mode Off.
Missing out on important text messages may be detrimental to your workflow. You need to keep communication with your peers going on. So, follow the troubleshooting tips in this guide to fix the issue of the text message notification sound not working on your iPhone.