Discord is a VoIP Application excellent for texts, audio, and video communication. It is wildly popular among the gaming community as its free, reliable, and comparatively low memory consumption. Lately, it has gained traction in the corporate and education sector ever since lockdowns have been placed all over the globe.
Despite its numerous advantages, sometimes the Windows Discord App fails to open. For some users, even if you uninstall and reinstall the app, this issue remains. For all we know, no one has been able to figure out the root cause of the problem yet, but the app does run. It’s just won’t open up on the screen.
Best Ways to Fix Discord Won’t Open Error in Windows:-
There are a number of hit and trial methods through which you will be able to solve this problem. So, if you are having a problem opening your discord, just follow these steps, and we will be able to fix this once and for all!
Method 1: Kill Discord Task from Task Manager
This method seems to work for most users, so we recommend you try this first hand. Follow these steps-
- Open task manager on Windows 10. Press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Open the Process tab and find Discord application and click it. Then click the End Task button at the right-bottom to kill the background Discord process.
- Then restart Discord to see if it opens now.
- Alternatively, you can also kill the background Discord process by using the Command Prompt.
- Press and hold Windows + R, type cmd and hit Enter to open Command Prompt
- Then type this command line: taskkill /F /IM discord.exe, then press Enter. This should stop Discord from running in the background.
Method 2: Log in via Web Version
You may have noticed this yourself by now, but this problem only happened when you log in to discord via Windows App Version. Some users were able to solve this problem by signing in with the Web Version, and then opening the Windows App Version.
Run Windows Discord app in the background, if it doesn’t run or shows a grey screen, follow these next steps.
The open Discord Web version and sign-in. If the Discord App doesn’t open up automatically, open it again to see if it runs.
Method 3: Update Discord
The app is regularly improved and updated, so there is a chance that the latest version may have the solution to your problem. To download the latest version of Discord, visit the discord website here.
Method 4: Disable all proxies and turn off VPNs
As you know by now this problem has to do with login malfunction, Proxies and VPNs are definitely going to cause a lot of problems. As for users who use third-party VPNs and Proxy Servers who are not willing to step down their security move on to the next method, others may follow these steps-
- Right-click on the Windows start menu and click on search.
- Type and select the Control Panel in the search tab.
- Choose Network and Internet from the Control Panel. Click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Properties window, click the Connections tab on the top.
- Under the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings section, click LAN Settings.
- Once the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings appears, find the Proxy Server section and unselect Use a proxy server for your LAN option if it is selected.
- Click Ok at the bottom, then again in the Internet Properties window. Then continue to launch Discord to see if it runs.
From Editor’s Desk
If you’re a fellow gamer, ask your gamer pals, they’ll always be happy to help a gamer out. I hope this guide was informative, and we were able to help you in the little way possible.
Feel free to drop your thoughts, and if you think there are somethings, we missed out on. Thank you.