The text message system on the phone was long before the era of WhatsApp and telegram and before smartphones became the mainstream mode of connectivity. Are the text message notifications not working on Android devices? Then follow this guide to know the best troubleshooting tips to solve this issue.
Possible reasons for text message notifications not working on android can be multifold. The reason could be a faulty network, active Do Not Disturb or the cache of the Messages app loaded with junk data. It could be a bug in the Messages app.
- Fix Text Messages Notifications Not Working on Android
- 1. Check the Network Connectivity Status
- 2. Restart the Android Device
- 3. Update the Messages App
- 4. Clear the Cache of the Messages app
- 5. Update the Android OS to the Latest Version
- 6. Disable Do Not Disturb Mode on Android
- 7. Check if you Had Blocked a Contact
- 8. Disable Power Saver Mode on the Android Device
- 9. Enable Notifications for the Messages App
- 10. Perform a Factory Reset of your Device
- 11. Disable Battery Optimisation for the Messages App
- 12. Reinstall the Messages app from the Play Store
Fix Text Messages Notifications Not Working on Android
Here are the various fixes you can implement to fix the issue of text message notifications not working on Android.
1. Check the Network Connectivity Status
First, ensure that there is sufficient network connectivity around you. If your tele-carrier is down for some reason, you won’t receive any notifications from any app, let alone the Messages app.
You may also get in touch with the social media handles of your tele-carrier. Their support staff should help you out. Ask them the status of the network and whether it is under any repair.
2. Restart the Android Device
Often when you are facing a glitch on your Android device out of nowhere, give it a complete restart. This trick never fails in fixing some of the serious random bugs that show up on the device.
- Long press the power button on the side of the Android device.
- Select Restart and wait for the reboot to take place.
- Once the device restarts, check if notifications start pouring in for the Messages app.
3. Update the Messages App
Also, look out for bugs that may be causing technical issues on the Messages app of the Android OS. To fix that, install any pending update you have for the Messages app.
- Open the Play Store.
- Tap on the connected Gmail account avatar.
- Select Manage Apps and device.
- Then tap on Updates Available.
- If the Messages app is listed there, tap on the Update button to begin the update installation.
Launch the Messages app after updating and now you should begin to see the notifications.
4. Clear the Cache of the Messages app
You may refresh the cache of the Messages app, which may be filled with junk data. Doing that will remove all the temporary data from the cache and the app won’t act buggy.
- Long press on the Messages app icon.
- Select App Info from the shortcut menu.
- Under App Info, select Storage & Cache.
- Then tap on Clear Cache.
- Restart the Messages app and the notifications should work fine.
5. Update the Android OS to the Latest Version
There may be some bug issues in the Android OS if you have installed the developer beta version of the system software. Due to this, you may be facing the text message notifications not working. To fix the possible bug issues, you must upgrade the system build to the latest one.
- Open the Settings.
- Go to Systems and tap on it.
- Then navigate to System Updates and tap on it.
- If you are connected to WiFi and a new build is available, follow the on-screen instructions and download the update.
6. Disable Do Not Disturb Mode on Android
The easiest way to disable the DND on Android is to access its settings from the pull-down notification center.
- Swipe down and get to the notification center.
- Then navigate to the DND button and tap on it to disable the feature.
7. Check if you Had Blocked a Contact
Have you blocked any of your phone’s contact by mistake? Then any messages from them won’t be notified unless you unblock them.
- Launch the Messages app.
- Tap on the 3-dot button at the top-right corner.
- Select Spam and Blocked.
- From the blocked contacts, look for the contact you wish to unblock and follow the on-screen instruction.
8. Disable Power Saver Mode on the Android Device
When the power saver mode is enabled, it limits a few of the functions of the device. This means if you are relying on mobile data to use some of the features of Android, that may get capped due to low battery, which is usually when the power saver mode is enabled.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Battery and tap on it.
- Tap on Battery Saver and tap on it.
- Please tap on the switch beside Turn on Now and gray it out, thus disabling it.
9. Enable Notifications for the Messages App
You should ensure that you have enabled notifications for the Messages app.
- Press the Messages app icon and go to App Info.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Tap on the switch beside All “Messages” Notifications.
- Also, enable the switch beside All Default Settings Notifications.
10. Perform a Factory Reset of your Device
If nothing else works in fixing the issue of text message notifications not working on Android, then try to perform a full factory reset of your device.
- Go to Android Settings.
- Tap on System.
- Under that, tap on Reset Options.
- Select Delete All Data, which will reset all the settings on the Android device.
Once the device restarts, it should be back to its original state. Now, there will be no issues seeing the notifications for the Messages app.
11. Disable Battery Optimisation for the Messages App
When you disable the battery optimization for the Messages app, the app continues to use all the resources in the background without any restrictions.
- Long press on the Messages app icon.
- Then tap on App Info.
- Next, tap on Battery.
- From the various optimization options, tap on Don’t Optimize.
12. Reinstall the Messages app from the Play Store
Lastly, you may uninstall the messages app and reinstall it from the Play Store. Doing so has often fixed the issue of notifications not working on Android devices. Rest assured that all the data in the app will be secure and appear once you reinstall the application.
- Long press the on Messages App Icon.
- From the shortcut menu, select Uninstall.
- Now, open up the Play Store.
- Search for Messages by Google LLC.
- Tap on Install and grab the app on your Android device.
Now, check if you can receive the notifications on the Messages app or not.
So, that’s all about how to fix the issue of text message notifications not working on Android devices. All your OTPs or important updates regarding delivery service are often conveyed through the Messages app.
Missing out on the notifications can set you back on many important matters. To avoid that, I suggest following this guide and using the troubleshooting tips to fix the issue quickly.