If you use Microsoft Edge quite frequently, you might have noticed the Bing Chat button appearing at the top right corner of the Edge screen. This is because Microsoft recently invested in ChatGPT and tried to integrate it into the browser.
For those who don’t know what ChatGPT is, it is an AI chatbot by OpenAI where you can ask questions related to anything and answer your question. Not only this, but ChatGPT can also compose articles, emails, poems, and even write codes.
Though this integration improved the user experience, things didn’t turn out for Microsoft as expected. Many users disliked the Bing AI chatbot on Microsoft and wanted to remove it from the browser.
If you are also looking to remove Bing Chat Button from Microsoft Edge, this article will guide you. First, let’s discuss how you can do it.
Remove Bing Chat Button from Microsoft Edge
If you are tired of seeing the Bing Chat Button at the top of your browser window and want to remove it, this article is for you. Given below are all the ways to remove the Bing Chat button from Microsoft Edge-
1. Using Command Prompt
The first way to remove the Bing Chat Button from Microsoft Edge is by executing a few commands in the Command Prompt. The steps for the same are mentioned below-
- Press Windows + S and then type CMD in the Windows Search. Right-click on Command Prompt and then click on Run as Administrator.
- When the UAC prompt appears, click on Yes to continue.
- Now, execute the commands given below one by one-
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge"
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" /v HubsSidebarEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f
- Once done with executing the above commands, close the Command Prompt and reboot your PC.
2. Using Windows PowerShell
You can also use Windows PowerShell to disable the Bing Chat Button from the browser. This can be done by following the steps given below-
- Press the Windows + X key combo, then click on Windows Terminal (Admin). Next, click on Yes on the UAC prompt.
- You will see Administrator: Windows PowerShell written on the tab; if not, then press Ctrl + Shift + 1.
- Here, type the command given below and press Enter to execute it-
start msedge --disable-features=msUndersideButton
- After executing the command, restart your PC.
3. Using Registry Editor
Registry Editor can be used to make changes to the Windows that you cannot simply do from the Settings or the Control Panel. You can remove the Bing Chat Button from Microsoft Edge using the Registry Editor by following the steps given below-
- Open the Start Menu, search for Registry Editor, and open it.
- Navigate to the following address-
- On the left side, right-click on Microsoft, then hover over New and select Key. Next, type the name of the new Key as Edge.
- On the left sidebar, click on Edge to open it.
- On the right side, right-click on the space, hover over New, and then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. Keep the name HubsSidebarEnabled for the new DWORD.
- Once done, restart your PC and launch the browser.
4. By Editing Edge Shortcut
You can also remove the Bing Chat button by editing the shortcut of the Microsoft Edge browser. However, this method is temporary and the changes can be reverted after the next update. To continue with this method, follow the steps given below-
- Right-click on the Edge icon on the desktop, and then click on Properties.
- Click on the Shortcut tab, and then set the Target as follows-
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --disable-features=msUndersideButton
- Click on Apply and you will get the “You will need to provide administrator permission to change the settings” prompt; click on Continue.
- Click on OK to save the changes you have made.
Now, see if the Bing Chat button appears at the top. If you see the Bing Chat button then it is because of the Startup boost. In this case, you must disable this feature if you want to remove the Bing chat button. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Click on the menu icon at the top right corner of the Edge browser and then click on Settings.
- Under the System and Performance tab, turn off the toggle for Startup Boost.
- Also, disable the toggle for ‘Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed’.
- Once done, restart the browser.
It seems that Microsoft won’t discard Bing Chat this soon and will also be on this browser for future updates. We know that you didn’t want the Bing Chat option on the Edge browser like us. If you want to remove the Bing Chat button from Microsoft Edge, you can follow the methods mentioned in the guide above.