Right now, most of them are doing Work from home due to the pandemic. You need to do video conferencing for meetings or educational purposes; also, they are using video conferencing apps.
If you want to attend an online meeting or want to do a video call with friends, then you need a webcam as most of the Laptops do not have a webcam in it. So, what can you do to use the Webcam? You can either buy a webcam or can use your phone as a webcam.
It is better to use a phone as a Webcam instead of buying a webcam. But how can you use a phone as a webcam? Don’t worry. Here we will explain how to use your Android or iOS phone as a webcam on Windows and macOS. Let’s get started.
Steps to Use Your Phone as a Webcam on Windows, Linux & macOS:
If you are in a meeting and giving a presentation and you need to share your screen, at that time, you must use your phone as a webcam. If you don’t have a webcam on your desktop or laptop, follow the given steps, and use your smartphone.
Before you follow the steps given below, first check your smartphone and Windows PC are connected to the same Wifi network. If you want, you can connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable.
Follow the Steps and Use a Smartphone as a Webcam:
- First of all, you need to download an app Droidcam Wireless Webcam on your smartphone from the given link. (Your phone should have Android 5.0 or above)
- Now download the app Droidcam Client on your Windows PC and install it. (You can download it on Linux also, but not on MacOS.)
- Launch the Droidcam client on PC and open it
- It will ask for a Device IP. Now, launch the Droidcam app on your smartphone. (Client is on Wifi by default. You can also choose to connect it with USB).
- Open the app and click on skip and go to the page to see the Device IP.
- Type in the same Device IP on the Desktop client.
- Now, on the desktop client, click on both video and audio options checkbox. If you select only one, then it will be a problem. If the audio is left, then your mic will not work.
- Now, click on the start button and see if you have successfully used your smartphone as a webcam or not.
Note: If you want to choose between the front and back camera, then you must go to the Droidcam app and click on the three-dot icon, then go to Settings > Camera and select. It is better to use the rear camera as it gives better quality.
If everything is okay, then start the video conferencing app and select Droidcam as your camera. So, this is how easy it is to use your smartphone as a webcam.
You can use the DroidCam app on the iPhone device also. The working process is precisely the same as the Android version. But, the problem is DroidCam client is only available for Windows and Linux. You cannot use DroidCam client on macOS.
Steps to Use Your Phone As a Webcam on MacOS:
Using a phone on macOS as a webcam process is the same as Android. However, the app desktop app is different. In macOS, you must use the EpocCam desktop client, which is also available for Windows. You can use this app on both Android and iOS smartphones.
Even for this, you must check whether both the devices are on the Wifi network or not.
One of the best thing about EpocCam is, you don’t need to do anything like DroidCam. Just check whether it has the same Wifi, and launch the EpocCamm app on your smartphone and then on desktop. Start your video conferencing app and select EpocCam as a camera.
The only downside of EpocCam is it is not entirely free to use. If you are using a free version, then you can’t get all the benefits of the software. Like, in the version, the video quality is restricted to 640×480. And you can’t use your iPhone’s microphone.
You can get the pro version of EpocCam by paying $7.99 for iPhone and $5.49 for Android.
So, this is the method that lets you use your phone as a webcam. We hope this article was helpful to you.