Unable to remove a keyboard layout on your Windows 11? The keyboard layout allows you to switch between multiple languages on your PC. However, many people have recently come up with an issue with it, stating that they can’t remove the keyboard layout in Windows 11.
You can add multiple keyboard layouts on your Windows 11 PC and choose between different languages when typing. Though this assists users in many ways, one may often find it a bit difficult to switch between the layouts. To avoid such a problem, you will have to remove the keyboard layout.
If you are facing a problem while removing the keyboard layout and you cannot do so, then this article will help you with it. This article discusses various troubleshooting steps to help you remove the keyboard layout in Windows 11.
How to Fix Can’t Remove Keyboard Layout in Windows 11
There are a few troubleshooting steps that you can follow to remove the keyboard layout. You can follow the fixes below to troubleshoot the issue you have been facing while removing the keyboard layout on Windows 11.
1. Using Settings
You can use the Settings app to remove the keyboard layout. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows + I key combo.
- Head to Time & Language tab on the left side, and then head to Language & Region.
- Click on the three ellipses next to the language you want to remove, and click on Language Options.
- Now, click on Add a keyboard button next to the Installed Keyboards.
- Click on the same language from the list you were having trouble removing.
- Close the Settings app and restart your PC.
- Again, open the Settings and head Time and Language> Language & Language.
- Click three ellipses on the language you want to remove, and then click on Remove.
- Restart your PC and the language will be removed.
2. Make Changes To the Registry
Another way to fix the issue by removing the keyboard layout in Windows 11 is by making changes to the Registry. Modify the Registry as shown below and you will be able to fix the issue you have been facing-
- Open Start Menu, search for Registry Editor and open it.
- Head to the following address in the Registry Editor:-
- Here, you will see a list of entries for your keyboard.
- Click on this link to check the list of keyboard identifiers. Check the Value Data on the Registry Editor and look out for the same keyboard identifier on the website. You will be able to find the keyboard layout associated with each Value data on your Registry Editor.
- Now, right-click on the correct entry, and click on Delete.
- Restart your PC to save the changes.
- Once your PC restarts, you will see that the layout has been deleted.
3. Using Windows PowerShell
You can also delete the keyboard layout using Windows PowerShell. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows key and search for Windows PowerShell. Run the application as administrator.
- Now, execute the command Get-WinUserLanguageList to get the list of all the keyboard layouts on your PC.
- Copy or note down the Language Tag for the language you want to remove from the list of keyboard layouts that appear.
- After you have copied the Language tag, execute the following commands one by one-
- $LangList = Get-WinUserLanguageList
- $MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq <LanguageTag>
- Set-WinUserLanguageList $LangList -ForceNote– In the second command mentioned above, replace <LanguageTag> with the language tag you copied. For instance, if it is en-IN, then the command should look like $MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq en-IN
- Restart your PC and the layout will be removed.
If you are not able to remove keyboard layouts in Windows 11, then you will be able to do so by following the steps mentioned in this article. We have mentioned the best methods to help you remove keyboard layouts in Windows 11