Google Chrome has been around for more than ten years, and over the period of time, it has shown its dominance in the internet world. However, about 80% of users are using Google Chrome to browse the web. In addition, you can see that the Internet is evolving rapidly, from text-based websites to more connecting and catchy web-based applications like Youtube.
But, it is not like that Google Chrome is free from errors. For example, recently, many users reported that they couldn’t restore their data, and sometimes the Chrome browser didn’t shut down correctly.
If you are also facing this kind of issue, then make sure to perform the different ways that we have mentioned in this guide. So, let’s get started with this.
Also Read- How To Auto Refresh Tabs in Chrome
Methods To Restore And Fix: Chrome Didn’t Shut Down Correctly
This comprehensive guide is divided into two parts; in the first section, we will tell you how to restore your Chrome browser. While, in the second half, we will tell you the different methods that you can use to fix if the Chrome browser didn’t shut down correctly. So, now let’s get started:
How To Restore Google Chrome
Although there is an in-built feature in the Chrome browser to restore closed tabs that will automatically restore all recently closed tabs.
But, there’s another trick that you can use. You just need to press the Ctrl + H key to reopen the tabs that were recently closed. However, remember that this will not work if you use incognito mode because it is technically impossible.
What Are The Ways to Fix if Chrome Didn’t Shut Down Correctly?
There are a few ways available using which you can quickly fix this issue, so let’s take a look at them:
#1. Allow Chrome Apps to Run in Background
You try this method to fix this issue, but you don’t know how to do this. Then, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you require to open the Chrome browser.
- Click on the three dots located at the top-right corner of the screen and then select the Settings menu.
- Next, click on Advanced and select the System.
- Then, select the Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed option to enable.
#2. Change The Chrome Preference File
Many users previously reported that this method helped them fix various issues in the Chrome browser. Therefore, you can also try this out and see if it helps get rid of the issue.
- First of all, launch the File Explorer and hover over to the location:
C: > Users > UserName > AppData > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data
- Now, locate and open the preferences file using notepad.
- Then, invoke the Find Dialog box by pressing Ctrl + F.
- After that, type exit_type and hit the enter key.
- That’s it. Now, you just need to change the exit type from Crashed to Normal simply.
Now, simply save the changes you have made using the Ctrl + S key and run the Chrome browser to check if the issue gets fixed or not.
#3. Rename the Chrome’s Default Folder
You can also rename the Chrome browser’s default folder to fix this issue, and here are the steps that you need to use:
- First of all, open the File Explorer and hover over to the location:
C: > Users > UserName > AppData > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data > Default
- Now, if the AppData folder isn’t available there, then this means that the folder might be hidden.
- After that, tap on the View menu and enable the Hidden items option.
- Now, under the User Data option, you’ll see the Default folder option.
- Then, right-click on it and choose Rename option from the drop-down list and give it the name Default_old and hit Enter.
#4. Reset Your Chrome Browser
Regrettably, if nothing helps you, then except resetting your browser, you have no other option. So, we recommend you simply reset your browser. However, in case you don’t know how then follow the steps we have mentioned below:
- Initially, launch the Google Chrome browser and tap on the three dots located at the top-right corner.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, select the Settings menu.
- Now, locate and click on the Advanced section.
- Then, hover over to the Reset and clean up.
- Finally, select the Restore settings to their original defaults and hit the Reset Settings option.
So, these were some ways that you can fix if you are also facing an error due to which it didn’t shut down correctly. We hope you find this guide helpful. But, yeah! If you’ve any problems while performing the methods mentioned above, feel free to ask us in the comment section.