Microsoft Teams is one of the most popular video conferencing apps people use to conduct video meetings. Everything is fine with the app until you start facing an error you didn’t think of.
Many users have reported that while waiting to join a scheduled meeting, they see an error message saying that ‘operation failed with an unexpected error.’
As the name suggests, the error is unexpected, and there is no exact reason behind facing this error. If you have made your way to this article looking for a way to fix microsoft teams operation failed with an unexpected error, you are at the right place.
This article discusses the troubleshooting steps to fix Microsoft Teams Operation Failed with an unexpected message error.
Also Read- How to Get Help in Windows 11
Fix Microsoft Teams Operation Failed With an Unexpected Message Error
Given below are the ways to help fix this error that you have been facing with Microsoft Teams-
1. Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before getting ahead with the actual troubleshooting steps, you should try some basic methods. Firstly, ensure you have the correct link. If you have an incorrect link, contact the link owner to send you the correct one.
Also, ensure that the Microsoft Teams is up. If the app server is down, you may also face this error. You can use Downdetector to check the status of Microsoft Teams. If Microsoft Teams is down, you will have to wait sometime for it to be up again.
If the link you have is correct and the server of the Microsoft Teams is not down, then you can continue with the troubleshooting steps mentioned ahead.
2. Check Network Connection
Many times the network problem can be a reason behind this error. You should check the speed of your internet connection. You can do so by visiting Fast.com. Ensure your network is stable and speed is good.
If you are facing trouble with your network, then try troubleshooting it. Try reconnecting to your W-Fi, restart your router, bring the router close to the PC or connect your PC to the router with a wire. This should fix the issue with the internet.
If your network is stable but still faces the issue, then you should move to the next troubleshooting steps in this article.
3. Clear Microsoft Teams Cache
The other way to fix the Microsoft team’s operation failed with an unexpected error message is to clear the cache of Microsoft Teams cache. Not only will this fix the issue but will also help to run the Microsoft Teams app smoothly. The steps for the same are as follow-
- Press the Windows + R keys combo and type %appdata% there and hit Enter.
- Scroll down and find the Microsoft folder and open it.
- Then, double-click on the Teams folder to open it.
- Press the Ctrl+A combo to select all the folders and hit the Delete button to delete all the cache folders/files.
4. Restart Microsoft Teams App
If you are facing this issue, you should try restarting the Microsoft Teams app. To do so, follow the steps given below –
- Press the Windows + X key and click on the Task Manager option.
- Under the Processes tab, select the Microsoft Teams from the list.
- Click the End Task button to end the Microsoft Teams app process.
- Now, restart the Teams app and check whether the issue is fixed.
5. Give Permissions for Camera and Microphone
When the user has not enabled camera and microphone permissions in the Microsoft teams, they will get Operation failed with an unexpected error message continuously during their video or voice calls. So you need to give the camera and microphone permission for teams. Given below are the steps to do so-
- Press Windows + I key combo to open the Settings app on Windows 11.
- There, open the Privacy & Security tab.
- Under the App permissions section, click on the Camera and enable the toggle for Camera Access. Enable the toggle for Let apps access your camera and then under it, enable the toggle for Microsoft Teams.
- Next, do the same steps for the Microphone and give access to it.
- Once done, check if you still face this issue or not.
6. Update Microsoft Teams
If you are using an outdated version of Microsoft Teams, you may also face this issue. You should try updating Microsoft Teams and that should most probably fix the issue. To update Microsoft Teams, follow the steps given below–
- Open Start Menu, and search for and open the Microsoft Teams app.
- Next, click on the three dots in the top right corner and click on the Check for updates option.
- Download and install all the updates you see here, and the issue will be fixed now.
7. Re-Sign into your Account
When the user updates their Microsoft account password, teams immediately detect the changes and ask for the new password. If the Microsoft teams fail while catching the password, the users need to sign out and sign in to their account. The steps for the same are as follow-
- Open the Microsoft teams app.
- Click on the profile picture in the top right corner and the Sign-out option.
- After logging out, try to log in to your account.
If you have been facing Microsoft Teams Operation Failed with an unexpected error, you can follow the steps mentioned in this article.
The troubleshooting steps in this article should probably fix the issue but reinstall/reset the Microsoft Teams app if you still encounter it. Once you do that, the issue will no longer be encountered.