Deleting or renaming the Software Distribution Folder is not a simple task for those who do not know about it properly. It is an essential temporary file element required to update the Windows system.
Whereas the folder is located in the Windows directory organized by the Windows Update Agent (WUAgent). Therefore, normal users don’t look at this folder usually. But when it is necessary to delete the software distribution folder, it becomes a real headache to accomplish it properly.
But fret not; in this post, we have shared a step-by-step guide on how to delete or rename software distribution folder in Windows effortlessly within a few minutes.
- About Windows Software Distribution Folder
- Steps to Delete Software Distribution Folder in Windows
- Steps to Rename Software Distribution Folder in Windows
About Windows Software Distribution Folder
The software distribution folder is a simple file folder, like others. It contains temporary update files required to install the windows update perfectly. If it is de-synchronized, it may cause the Windows Updates not to work properly.
However, the folder is in the C drive under the windows directory. You can only clear the folder from the drive when facing an issue with the window update. You can clean temporary files from disk clean-up if it takes more space.
Steps to Delete Software Distribution Folder in Windows
You can’t delete or clear the software distribution folder from the system without stopping Windows Update Service (wuauserv) and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (bits). So, without wasting time, follow these simple processes:
- Click on Start and Search for Command Prompt, and open it.
- Now type these two commands one by one on CMD:
net stop wuauserv net stop bits
- Now open File Explorer.
- Find the software distribution file. For easy browsing
- Once you have reached the distribution file, select all files, and click the delete button.
Boom! You have deleted the software distribution file. If you want to start Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service, then follow these simple steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator rights.
- Type the below commands one by one to start these services.:
net start wuauserv net start bits
Note: If you are facing an issue with deleting files, you can try after restarting the system.
Steps to Rename Software Distribution Folder in Windows
You can troubleshoot the windows update problem without deleting distribution files by renaming the folder. At least you can understand whether the software distribution folder is creating any problems.
Renaming the software distribution folder is also very easy, like the first process. Follow this simple process:
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Again, you must stop the Windows Update Service (wuauserv) and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
net stop wuauserv net stop bits
- Once you have stopped both services, now open the command prompt again
- Type this command to rename the software distribution folder.
rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- Now you have to resume the Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service. For this, we have shared the process and syntax above.
Unable to delete the software distribution folder in Windows 7?
A few times, it won’t work properly. If you face this issue, you can restart your device and try again. Don’t forget to stop additional services using the CMD.
Is it safe to clear a software distribution folder?
Clearing the software distribution folder is not harmful at all. The temporary files are required only when you update windows. Whenever you update windows after clearing distribution files, it will create a folder under the C drive automatically.
How to find the software distribution folder in Windows?
Since people are unaware of the folder until it becomes a necessity, finding it can be difficult. However, you can browse the software distribution folder
How can I delete the old windows update files manually?
Clearing the old windows update flies as simple as eating pie. Go to settings, then Settings > System > Storage. Select the temporary files, and now select the Previous version of Windows. And finally, clear the old windows to update files.
That’s wrapped up – I hope you got enough information on how to delete or rename the Software Distribution Folder in Windows. If you face any problems, let me know in the comment section.