Sxstrace.exe is an executable file that helps with the proper functioning of various operations on Windows 11. The file operations are performed whenever the file is executed or opened by Windows. However, users can sometimes face Sxstrace.exe Runtime error in Windows 11.
So why may you face this error on your PC? This error is mainly encountered by the users when they try to launch a program or while they are in a middle of a program. Sxstrace.exe runtime error occurs when Windows is unable to find the Sxstrace.exe file.
There is nothing to worry about if you encounter this error, as this article will guide you with the fixes for it. In this article, we will be discussing various troubleshooting steps to help fix the Sxstrace.exe runtime error in Windows 11.
Fix Sxstrace.exe Runtime Error in Windows 11
If you have been facing the Sxstrace.exe runtime error in Windows 11, you can follow the steps below to fix it.
1. Run SFC Scan And DISM Scan
As discussed, you may face the issue when the Sxstrace.exe file goes missing. If that is the case, you should try running the SFC scan. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open Start Menu, and search for Command Prompt. Run the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Next, type and execute the command sfc /scannow.
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart your PC.
Most probably, this should fix the issue you have been facing. However, if you still face the issue, you should try running the DISM scan. Given below are the steps to run the DISM scan-
- Run the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Type and execute the following commands one by one-
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Once the process is completed, close the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
2. Run Compatibility Troubleshooter
You can also run a compatibility troubleshooter to fix the Sxstrace.exe runtime error in Windows 11. You can do so by following the steps ahead-
- Open Settings by pressing the Windows + I key combo.
- Head to the System tab, and then click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, click on Other Troubleshooters.
- Look out for the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and click on the Run button next to it.
- Next, select the program you are having a problem with. Locate the program and follow the on-screen instructions to troubleshoot it. If you don’t find the program in the list, click on the Not Listed option.
- Once done, restart your PC and you should no longer face the issue.
3. Update Windows
Many times, you may face the issue due to random bugs. Through Windows Update, Microsoft pushes some bug fixes for the previously reported bugs. To update Windows, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + I key combo to open Windows 11 Settings.
- Click on the Windows Update tab, and then click on Check for updates on the right side.
- Download and install all the updates listed here.
- After installing the update, restart your PC, and check if you still face the issue or not.
4. Manually Register Sxstrace.exe
Another troubleshooting step to follow is manually registering the Sxstrace.exe. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Here, type and execute the following commands one by one to register Sxstrace.exe-
- regsvr32 /u sxstrace.exe
- regsvr32 /i sxstrace.exe
- Restart your PC after executing the above commands.
5. Reset PC
If none of the above steps helped you fix the issue, the last option will be to reset your PC. You can reset your PC by following the steps given below-
- Open Start Menu, and click on Settings to open it.
- In the System tab, click on the Recovery option.
- Click on the Reset This PC button. You will now get two options-
- Keep My Files- This will keep your files, but remove your settings and app.
- Remove Everything- This option will remove all your files, settings, and apps.
- Select the preferred option, and then follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PC.
- Once done, set up your PC and you will no longer face the issue.
If you have been facing the Sxstrace.exe runtime error in Windows 11, then this article will be your guide to help you solve it. Following the above steps, you will be able to fix the issue with Sxstrace.exe you have been facing.