Are you getting a problem with the USB Keyboard on your Windows computer? Don’t worry; you are not the only one facing this issue on an external or laptop keyboard. Many other Windows 10 users are reporting the problem.
There are some reasons why you are getting this issue. Such as wrong USB port, missing driver, windows update bug, corrupt DLL file, and more. However, you don’t need to worry, as here we have a few solutions which will fix USB Keyboard not working in Windows 10.
Fix USB Keyboard Not Working on Windows 10
Below are a few methods to fix USB keyboard issues on your Windows PC. Apply them one by one to your computer and see which works for you.
1. Make Sure the USB Port is Working
If your USB keyboard is not working, first, you must check on the USB ports. Check whether the ports are working or not.
You can check it by plugging the USB keyboard into other USB Devices. So, if the port is not working, you must fix it. It might be one of the reasons; your keyboard is not working.
2. Adjust the Filter Keys on Keyboard
If the Filter Key is ON in the settings, it might cause a problem. So, disable the Filter Keys by following the steps:
- Do right-click on the Start button at the left corner
- Click on Settings options
- Now, choose the Ease of Access option
- Scroll down and look for the Keyboard option on the left-hand side
- Next, you will see the Filter Keys option; you need to turn OFF the option.
- Now, close it and restart your PC and check whether the USB Keyboard is working.
3. Uninstall Keyboard Driver
If multiple keyboard devices are available on the Windows PC, it can also cause the keyboard not to work. So, to fix the issue, you can uninstall all the unnecessary keyboard devices. Follow the steps and uninstall the keyboard driver.
- Do right-click on the Start button and select the Device manager option.
- Once the Device Manager window is open, click on View at the top.
- From the list, click on Show Hidden Devices.
- In the long list shown on the screen, look for Keyboards.
- There you will see some of the keyboard devices. Uninstall them by right-clicking on the option and clicking on the Uninstall device.
- Again it will confirm whether you want to uninstall or not. Click on OK.
- Once the external Keyboard devices are uninstalled, restart your computer.
4. Update Your Keyboard Driver
You can manually update the keyboard driver to fix the issue, as the unresponsive keyboard might give you a problem. There are two ways to get the right keyboard driver; one is updating it manually or automatic Update.
Follow the steps to update the driver manually:
- Do right-click on the Start button and click on Device manager.
- Once the Device Manager screen looks for keyboards
- Do right-click on the keyboard device.
- Now, from the options, click on Update driver.
You can update your drivers automatically with the help of Driver Easy. It automatically finds the correct drivers for USB ports and mouse. So, you don’t need to download any wrong driver and don’t need to worry about anything. Just use Driver Easy and update your drivers automatically.
- Download and install Driver Easy software.
- Please open it and click on the Scan Now button
- It will scan your computer and detect if there is any problem or not
- Next to every keyboard device, there is an option for Update
- Click on it to automatically download and install the right version
- You can also Update All the keyboard devices to the correct version, but you need a pro version of the software.
5. Disable Fast Startup
Sometimes, the fast startup option can also cause the USB keyboard not working.
- Search for Control Panel on your PC and open it
- On that screen, click on Hardware and Sound option.
- Then click on Change What the Power Buttons Do.
- Scroll down and look for shutdown settings
- There uncheck the option of Turn On fast startup
- Then click on save changes
6. Check for Windows Updates
One of the standard methods to solve this issue in Windows 10 computers is looking for the available updates.
- First, click on the Start button
- Click on Settings and open it
- Now, click on Updates and Security
- On the screen, at the side menu, click on Windows Update
- Then click on Check for Updates button
- Now, allow the windows to check for the available updates and install them.
That’s all about on how to fix USB keyboard not working on Windows 10. Here we have provided some of the best methods to help you. We hope this solution was helpful to you.