Since Windows being a widely used OS, it’s no wonder that Microsoft, its maker, pushes new updates regularly to keep it attractive and useful. While most of them are necessary, not all the updates are useful to install. Though you get to decide which updates have to be downloaded, you won’t realize until it’s done without your consent.
Yes, Microsoft downloads the new updates rolled out in your Windows 10 PC by default, which can charge your data balance abnormally sometimes. While some updates are petty and needless data to Install, some system updates may consume gigabytes of data, thus exhausting your data plan soon.
So, if you want to stop them from happening, realize that you can pause the downloads for a month or just a couple of weeks. If not, you can restrict the amount of Wi-Fi data used in the background through settings, thus saving your data plan.
Also Read- How to See WiFi Password on Windows 10
Steps to Limit Wifi Data Usage in Windows 10 PC
- First, open your Settings by pressing Windows Key + I keyboard shortcut or navigating through Start Menu > Settings.
- Now, go to Network and Internet and open the WiFi section from the left panel.
- This will show the current internet connection you’re connected to. Click on it to open edit options.
- Here, you’d find Set and metered connection option with a toggle switch. Please turn it on to limit the data consumption.
- Right under that, you can see a setting read as “Set a data limit to help control data usage on this network.” Clicking on it will take you to the Data Usage page to see the Set Limit button.
- Clicking on Set limit will open a window where you can choose to limit the data monthly, one-time or unlimited. You can also type in the amount of data that are allowed to your PC to consume in that period.
- Click Save to save the new limiting restrictions.
While this is how you limit the WiFi in your Windows 10 laptops, you can see the Data Usage page from Step.5 in Windows 10 desktop in the Network Status Settings.
Also Read- Best Internet Usage Monitor for Windows 10