WhatsApp today has pushed a full-screen pop-up notification to everyone, about the changes made to their data collection and service policies. The newly modified rules will now let WhatsApp collect more data and share it with Facebook companies, to provide deeper integration as Facebook wished for. It takes effect from February 8th onwards.
Though Facebook is into numerous data scandals, some appreciated it because the company hasn’t drawn WhatsApp into such business yet. But gradually, Facebook is pulling WhatsApp into its ideologies, as it now tends to collect more identifiable data to connect with businesses.
This was notified today, with users getting a screen-wide popup asking them to agree to the changes. If not, they can click on Not Now to do later, on or before February 8th, after which the terms go into effect regardless of your preferences. The changes let WhatsApp share the information with “Facebook Companies“.
- helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems;
- understanding how our Services or theirs are used;
- promoting safety, security, and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., securing systems and fighting spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities;
- improving their services and your experiences using them, such as making suggestions for you (for example, of friends or group connections, or interesting content), personalized features and content, helping you complete purchases and transactions, and showing relevant offers and ads across the Facebook Company Products; and
- providing integrations that enable you to connect your WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products. For example, allowing you to connect your Facebook Pay account to pay for things on WhatsApp or enabling you to chat with your friends on other Facebook Company Products, such as Portal, by connecting your WhatsApp account.
Now, this option of not complying was removed, thus making it mandatory for users to accept if they wanted to use their platform. If not, they can choose to delete their account with WhatsApp!