When trying to perform an in-place upgrade on Windows 11, many users have reported facing Windows 11 Setup Failed to Validate Product Key error. Generally, this error occurs due to temporary files, third-party antivirus interfering with your PC, and missing configuration files.
If you are facing this issue and cannot perform the in-place upgrade, you can prefer to follow the steps in this article. In this article, we will be discussing how you can fix Windows 11.
Also Read- Fix Windows 11 Startup Folder Not Working
Fix Windows 11 Setup Failed To Validate Product Key
Given below are various ways to fix Windows 11 setup failed to validate the product key.
1. Disable Third-Party Antivirus
The first step to fixing Windows 11 setup that failed to validate the date product key is disabling third-party antivirus on your PC. The third-party antivirus installed on your PC may often conflict with the proper functioning of your PC, and you may face this issue. Therefore, you should try disabling the antivirus installed on your PC and then check whether you face this issue or not.
If it doesn’t work, you can try temporarily removing the antivirus from your PC and then check whether you still face the issue. If you still encounter the issue then the third-party antivirus was not the reason behind faring this error and you can refer to the next troubleshooting step in this article.
2. Perform Disk Cleanup
Another thing that you can try doing is performing disk cleanup. To perform a disk cleanup, follow the steps given below:-
- Open the Start Menu and search for Disk Cleanup and open it.
- In the Disk Cleanup window, select the system drive you need to clean. Select the drive and click OK.
- After doing so, click on Clean up system files and wait for the process to finish.
- Now, check the checkbox for all the files you need to clean and click on OK.
- After doing so, try performing the in-place upgrade again.
3. Create Missing Config File
You may also face the issue if the config file goes missing. Therefore, you should try manually creating the missing config file and they check whether you still fare the issue or not. To create the missing config files, follow the step given below-
- Open the Start Menu, and search for Notepad. Right-click on it and then click on Run as administrator to run the application with administrative privileges.
- In the Notepad, copy and paste the following text-
[EditionID] [Channel] Retail [VL] 0
- Now save the file with the name ei.cfg and Copy the file you created.
- Now, head to the official page of Windows 11 and download Windows 11 ISO file from here.
- Open the File Explorer and head to where the Windows 11 ISO file was downloaded.
- Extract the Windows 11 ISO file to the folder.
- Now, open the extracted folder, head to the Source folder, and paste the copied file.
- After doing so, run the Setup file inside the folder and you should no longer face the issue.
We have discussed troubleshooting steps to fix Windows 11 setup failed to validate the product key error in this article. If you are facing the Windows 11 setup failed to validate the product key and are looking for a way to fix it, you can follow this guide. Following the above steps, you will be all to fix the issue you have been facing.