After updating Windows, Windows Desktop Manager and Client-Server Runtime would use up my GPU resources, and I am unable to play games and use OBS on my PC properly. However, I think I’m not the only one who gets this error, and most probably, there are more users suffering from the DWM.exe error worldwide.
Talking about the Desktop Window Manager then this is responsible for managing the visual effects of your computer. When it comes to the latest Windows 11, it manages 3D animation, high-resolution support, and almost everything involved to give you a better visual effect.
However, many of you don’t know that this process keeps on running in the background and utilizes a certain amount of CPU usage on your PC. Anyway, after many efforts, I’ve found some workarounds to fix this out and all mentioned in this article. Therefore, if you are suffering from this, make sure to read this article till the end.
Also Read- FIX – Avast Service High CPU Usage
Why DWM.exe Causes High CPU Usage
It causes a heavy load on our CPU because it manages how your system processes with responsibility for your graphical user interface. In other words, it creates visual effects that generate high CPU usage, which causes your PC to slow down.
But, now you do not need to worry even if you have an old system. So, let’s take a look at the fixes that we have.
How To Fix DWM.exe Causes High CPU Usage
Here we mentioned some methods that you can use to fix the issue. So, make sure to follow them carefully.
Method 1: Check For Windows Update
Did you check if there is an OS update is available for your device? If not, you just need to check for it. So, to do so, follow the steps that we have mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to press the Windows+I button altogether to invoke the Windows Settings.
- Then, click on the Windows Update button.
- Now, in the next Window, click on the Check For Update button.
- That’s it. Now, wait until it searches for the latest update available for your device.
Method 2: Check For GPU Driver Update
The second most important factor that generally causes this kind of error is an old or outdated GPU driver. So, you need to regularly check for the driver updates using the steps mentioned below:
- Initially, you need to press the Windows+I button altogether to invoke the Windows Settings.
- Then, switch to the System tab and click on the Display tile.
- After that, scroll down a bit and select the Advanced Display option.
- Now, you’ll see the manufacturer and model details of your GPU under the Internal Display section. After that, if you want more details about your GPU, click on the Display adapter properties for Display 1.
- That’s it. Now, note down the detail, hover over to your GPU manufacturer’s official website and check if any update is available for the GPU model you are using.
Note: You can also use the Device Manager to check initially if there is any update available for you. If not, then try the above-mentioned steps.
Also Read- Best Driver Updater Software For Windows
Method 3: Check For Malware
It is another factor that plays a crucial role as malware and viruses damage our system. This results in slow performance and high CPU usage issues. Therefore, to fix this, you should check if your system is affected by some sort of malware or viruses. You can use any antivirus that you have.
So, these were some fixes that you can try and check if the DWM.exe high CPU usage error gets resolved or not. We are hoping that you get all the points that we have tried to explain to you regarding fixing this issue. But, in case you are still in a situation and end up getting the same error, let us know in the comment section. Our team will assist you further.