BSOD errors are quite frustrating and you may encounter them on Windows 10 as well as on Windows 11. They result in crashing your system, after which your PC will restart.
BSOD errors can be of different types, and they are generally faced due to incompatible drivers, incompatible hardware, corrupted system files, outdated Windows, or faulty hardware.
One common BSOD error you may encounter on your Windows PC is fltMgr.sys Blue Screen error. fltMgr stands for Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager.
This service ensures that your files remain intact where they are supposed to be. When something goes wrong with the fltMgr, you will likely face fltMgs.sys blue screen error on Windows.
Fix fltMgr.sys Blue Screen Error on Windows 11/10
If you are getting fltMgr.sys Blue Screen error on Windows may indicate issues with the fltMgr service. Given below are some troubleshooting steps to help fix this blue screen error on your PC-
1. Boot into Safe Mode
If you are facing fltMgr.sys blue screen error on Windows, then you should try booting into safe mode. Through this, you can easily identify whether the issue is caused due to some app or not.
- Press Windows + R key combo, type msconfig, and click on OK.
- Click on the Boot tab, and then under the Boot Options, select Safe Boot.
- Select the option for Minimal under the Safe Boot.
- Now, click on Apply and then on OK.
2. Update Windows
If you are using an outdated version of Windows, then the blue screen error may arise on your Windows. If the updates are available, download them on your system. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below-
- Go to the Start menu, search for the Settings app and open it.
- Next, select the Windows Update option from the left sidebar and then click on Check for Updates button.
- Install all the updates available and then simply restart your PC.
3. Clear Junk Files
You may get fltMgr.sys blue screen error on Windows due to junk files. You can use Disk Cleanup to clean junk files and fix this issue. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Go to the Start menu, search for Disk Cleanup and open it.
- Now, click on the drop-down menu under Drives select, select the Windows installation drive, and click OK.
- Under the Files to delete section, select all the files you want to delete.
- Then, click on the Clean up System files option.
4. Update your Drivers
You will likely face this issue if you have incompatible or outdated drivers. In this case, you need to update your drivers to fix your problem. To update drivers, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + I key combo to open Settings.
- Under the Windows Update section, click on Advanced Options.
- Now, click on Optional Updates and then on Driver Updates.
- Now, select all the driver updates available.
- Click on Download & Instal to install the updates.
5. Run SFC and DISM Scan
You may also face this issue due to corrupted system files. You can run SFC and DISM scans to scan and fix corrupted files. Given below are the steps to do so-
- Go to the Start menu, and search for CMD. Right-click on Command Prompt and then click on Run as administrator.
- Here, enter the command given below and execute it-
- This will scan your PC for corrupted files and fix them. Wait for the process to complete before you move to the next step.
- Now, type and execute the following commands one by one-
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, close the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
6. Run CHKDSK Scan
CHKDSK scans your disk and fixes file system errors. If you are facing fltMgr.sys blue screen error, then running the CHKDSK scan can help fix the issue. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Firstly, run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Here, type and execute the following command-
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart your PC.
7. Scan for Virus
We recommend you run a virus and malware scan. Many times, blue screen errors are due to viruses on your PC. You will have to scan your PC for the virus to fix issues caused due to them. You can use Windows Security to scan your PC for viruses by following the steps given below-
- Open Windows Security from the Start Menu.
- Click on Virus and threat protection option.
- Now, click on Scan Options and then select Full Scan.
- After doing so, click on Scan Now to scan your PC for the virus.
These were some troubleshooting methods to help fix fltMgr.sys Blue screen error on Windows. However, if you still face the issue after following the above steps, we recommend performing a factory reset. You can either factory reset your PC or clean-install Windows to fix this issue.